Wednesday, January 28, 2009

American Idle

It's the return of the best comedy on television (at least the audition episodes).

For the past week, I've spent the bulk of my days online- looking for jobs, posting resumes, mp3s, etc. Usually, I'll have CNN on as background noise. Even when the news is bad, I refuse to be one of those people who stay blissfully ignorant of what's going on in the world. Except that it's ALL bad news. All of it. Sure, they'll have some cringe-worthy, "better her than me" distraction about a woman whose fertility drugs "blessed" her with eight little cabbages, or the ubiquitous water-skiing squirrel, but otherwise- BAD news.

So, I'm tapping out for a bit. Thank God for the return of Simon, Randy, Paula, and Seacrest. It's mindless entertainment; empty calories for the brain. Watching these poor, deluded kids find out that their parents have been lying to them about their "talent"? It's like candy for the soul.

We've always watched the show to feel better about ourselves. Right now, we need it more than ever.

No comments: