Thursday, May 21, 2009

Arizona Bay



New stats from YouTube report that 20 hours of video are uploaded to the site every minute. I can only assume our collective response would be something like, "let me get my camera if you're gonna light that fart!". As enamored as I am of the possibilities inherent in advancing technology, I also appreciate that we will use it in the most mundane and banal ways possible. YouTube is great for a lot of things- if you want to see an old George Carlin appearance on Johnny Carson, you're golden. Get a midday hankering for some OG DeGrassi episodes? Go nuts. Flock Of Seagulls videos? Take your pick. But with 20 hours uploaded per minute, that means a lot of the public are also spending an inordinate amount of time on their "What My Nipple Is Doing Today" video log. (Which reminds me, my left one is feeling a bit peckish. I'll post later.) Some people decry these trends as cultural de-evolution. I prefer to enjoy it as the sum total of what we'll leave behind; an exquisite balance of the sublime and the ridiculous. Millions of terabytes of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Exactly as it should be.

No comments: