Thursday, July 9, 2009

America's High-Five



I'm a city guy, more comfortable surrounded by concrete, mumbling homeless, and car alarms than anywhere else. Still, there is something unmistakably necessary about periodically escaping that collective din. My girlfriend and I spent the 4th of July holiday at her family's cabins on Higgins Lake, in northern Michigan. (I'm no stranger to the Wolverine State, as I started my radio career in Kalamazoo.) A week of bonfires, beach reading, kayaking, hold-em, euchre, boating, fireworks, and a Batman birthday party was the perfect mental counterbalance to what has been a tough year and a limp summer. Sometimes, all your soul needs is to see some stars and roast some marshmallows.




Ah, Michigan. I guess they saw me coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Trees are cool, sometimes. Glad you had a great weekend away.
/m