Monday, April 13, 2009

412/724/878

I lived in Pittsburgh for seven years. Before moving there, I thought of the city in much the same way as many Americans do- as a cold, grey, faded steel town- and I couldn't have been more wrong. It is a vibrant, topographically astounding, politically active city with criminally underrated arts and culture. I was (unexpectedly) very successful there, due in no small part to the fact that I related to the midwestern mindset and no-bullshit attitude of its residents. Some of those residents continue to be dear friends and it was only my desire to be back on the air in Chicago that caused me to leave. Sure, I criticized its collective low self-esteem a lot, but I had no idea how much I would miss the area after I left. (My family no doubt bristles at the fact that I still consider the Steelers to be my home team.) In my heart, I'll always be part Pittsburgher.

Which is why this guy should get the chair.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We miss you here in Pittsburgh!

Unknown said...

Pittsburgh transplant (from when you were on the X) now in Michigan (don't ask) and I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

Joe Minkel said...

Alan. We do miss you too in Pittsburgh. The radio talent here just hasn't been the same. Yeah, we have Mark Madden on the X now (wow, whoop-dee-doo), but nothing fills your shoes. I actually resorted to buying a Sirius radio just because I can't stand listening to the "free fm" of the airwaves. Yes I listen to Stern. Yes I have been a long time fan of his. But when you were around, my radio wasn't tuned to 93.7, or 102.5, it was 105.9 in the afternoons (when you first were around), and in the mornings (in your final few years). I still have all of your CD's that you released. Sells out, Ribbed, and Shadyside Bathroom Wall Blues. If you could come back to the 'burgh, would you? I mean if you were offered a lucrative deal? Also, I have included my facebook link. Although I know I am just a fan, it would be cool to still keep up with you on facebook as well. I hope you and your family are doing well in these tough times.


P.S. Could you still do "On Q" via satellite if possible? Your political views are some of the most intelligent I have ever heard.

The Gab said...

You agree with the death penalty?


Who are you?

Jen said...

I posted a simple comment, saying "Come back, Alan", and it was deleted. I wonder why?